Friday, July 17, 2009

The Toxicity of this City

The realization hit me this morning, post-run, after another triple-digit burner... I am not sweating the way nature intended, I am bleeding water.

Sweat, in most livable conditions throughout this great nation, beads upon the surface of the skin and then either progresses to be evaporated in the atmosphere, or perhaps dawdles down the skin to the earth.

However, Houston has taken a life of it's own this summer, attempting to mimic life on Mercury. Is it just me, or is this the worst running summer on record?

My worst fears were confirmed when recovering one night from a day of work, life, and training, I was watching the Discovery Channel, half-heartedly, when a brief announcement caught my attention: "Houston is in peril. The country's fourth most populous city faces, heat, hurricanes and other natural disasters."

Discovery Channel's "Mega-Engineering" show focused on "The Houston Dome." Basically, Houston is becoming unlivable. With raising greenhouse gases (Houston has surpassed Los Angeles as # 1 in the country), searing heat and humidity levles oppress this city. Houstonians face extinction...

Enjoy your run, HARRA Members...